CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Reading Counts


Often times we take for granted that children can identify the local supermarket logo or the icon for Mom or Dad's favorite team. But it is that icon recognition that shows us children are ready to begin to read. We call that print recognition and it is very important to developing as readers. As students gain proficiency with reading, they begin to automatically change and manipulate letters and sounds while they read with out any thought or effort. However, it is important that they are able to do that verbally as well. Thus our focus on phonics and sound/letter manipulation. We engage in word play and letter manipulation as a way to demonstrate our understanding of sounds and letters. An effortless decoding ability leads to an increase in comprehension. Comprehension is the ultimate goal to reading well. Please play word games with your children in the car, waiting in line, on a walk. You will be surprised how much they like it.

8 comments:

  1. I like to read because it is fun and good for our brains. Kaelyn Kudo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reason Kaelyn! You are right. Reading is good for all of our brains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think reading is fun because it makes our brains smarter even though they are pretend stories.
    -Nathan Chen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great answer Nathan. I like the fiction ones also. Sometimes, I like to read nonfiction also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to read because it is fun and it makes me ready to read bigger books.
    Mohit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to read because it is fun. I like to read to my little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mohit, that is a wonderful answer! We learn to read so we can read other books to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeremy I like that you read to your little sister. When I was younger, I read to my little sister too!

    ReplyDelete